In view of the directions of Hon’ble Supreme Court of India dated 18th May,2009 and UGC regulations on curbing the menace of ragging in Higher Educational institutions ,2009, ragging is a punishable offence and it is totally banned in the college campus including hostel. Ragging constitutes one or more of any of the following acts:
- Any conduct by any student or students whether by words spoken or written or by any other act which has the effect of teasing ,treating or handling with rudeness a fresher or any other student.
- Indulging in rowdy or in disciplined activities by any student or students which causes or is likely to cause annoyance hardship, physical or psychological harm or to raise fear or apprehension thereof in any fresher or any other student.
- Asking any student to do any act which such student will not in the ordinary course do and which has the effect of causing or generating a sense of shame or torment or embarrassment so as to adversely effect the physique or psyche of such fresher or any other student.
- Any act by a senior student that prevents, disturbs or disrupts the regular academic activity of any other student or fresher.
- Exploiting the services of a fresher or any other student for completing the academic tasks assigned to an individual or a group of students.
- Any act of financial extortion or forceful expenditure or burden put on a fresher or any other student by students.
- Any act of physical abuse including all variants of it: Sexual abuse, forcing obscene and lewd acts, gestures causing bodily harm or any other danger to health or person.
- Any act or abuse by spoken words, emails, post, public insults which would also include deriving perverted pleasure, sadistic thrill from actively or passively participating in the discomfiture to fresher or any other student.
- Any act that affects the mental health and self confidence of a fresher or any other student with or without an intent to derive a sadistic pleasure or showing off power, authority by a student over any fresher or any other student.
Action in the event of Ragging
Depending on the nature and gravity of the offence as established by the Anti-Ragging Committee/Squad of the college, the possible punishments for those found guilty of ragging or abetting ragging in the college /college hostel shall be anyone or any combination of the following:
- Suspension from attending the classes and academic privileges.
- Withdrawing /withholding Scholarship/Fellowship and any other benefits.
- Debarring from appearing in any test/examination
- Debarring from representing the college in any Intercollegiate /regional/national/international event/meet/tournament etc.
- Withholding results
- Cancellation of admission
- Suspension /expulsion from the hostel
- Rustification from the institution
- FIR can be filed with the Local Police
To see UGC Regulations, 2009 visit the UGC Website www.ugc.ac.in & www.antiragging.in
The college has a Anti- ragging Committee /Squad comprising of Senior faculty members to keep strict vigil on the incidents of ragging. The students are advised not to remain as a mute spectator to ragging and report ragging incidents immediately at the following numbers:
9419160907, 01992-270681, 9419980767, 9419214675, 9419974220